Falafel with Tomato & Onion Quinoa Salad
For those can’t-be-bothered-to-cook nights, we’ve got your back. Ready-to-eat falafels join fluffy quinoa, crunchy veg and a dollop of minty yoghurt in a dish that’s speedy to cook and tastes delicious.
Get 25% off your first 4x Mindful Chef boxes HERE.
- 1 cucumber (use half)
- 1 handful of fresh mint
- 1 red onion
- 40g quinoa
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar (Sulphites)
- 20g baby spinach
- 1 vegetable stock cube (Celery)
- 75g baby plum tomatoes
- 80g coconut yoghurt (use half)
- 100g Moroccan falafel with red pepper & apricot
- Preheat the oven to 220C / fan 200C / gas mark 7. Boil a kettle. Heat a medium saucepan filled with boiling water on a high heat. Dissolve the stock cube in the pan, then add the quinoa. Boil for 13-14 mins, until cooked, then drain.
- Place the half pack of falafels onto a lined baking tray. Cook for 8-10 mins, or until hot in the middle.
- Make the quick pickled onions; thinly slice the onion and place into a small bowl with the vinegar, 2 tbsp water, and a pinch of sea salt. Leave to pickle.
- Remove the mint leaves from their stalks and finely chop. Place the half pack of yoghurt into a small bowl, then add the mint. Season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Mix and set aside.
- Dice the half cucumber into 1cm cubes. Halve the tomatoes. Finely dice the remaining half onion. Heat a medium frying pan with 1 tsp oil on a medium-high heat. Add the onion, cook for 1 min, then add three-quarters of the tomatoes. Cook for a further minute.
- Add the quinoa to the pan and stir to combine. Serve the quinoa over a bed of spinach, alongside the falafels. Garnish with yoghurt, cucumber, tomatoes and pickled onion. Drizzle a little pickling liquid from the onions (to taste).