These cheesy pockets are absolutely fantastic for a packed lunch or picnic food. They are super easy to put together and they are ideal for hot summer days. The Mushroom Burger goes so well with the cashew cheese, and we love adding lots of raw veggies to add a burst of fresh flavour. Recipe lovingly created by Happy Skin Kitchen.
Serves 1-2 people
Allergy sufferers please note that this recipe contains nuts.
1 Gosh Mushroom, Lentil & Butter Bean Burger
2 pitta bread
About ½ cup of finely sliced purple cabbage
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
A pinch of salt & pepper
A handful of cherry tomatoes
A handful of fresh rocket
1 fresh red chilli sliced (optional)
For the cashew cheese:
½ cup of raw cashews soaked overnight or for at least 8 hours
The juice of ½ lemon
1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
½ teaspoon of garlic salt
1 cup of water
½ teaspoon of pepper
Alternatively use a tasty nut-free, vegan cheese
- Preheat oven to electric 200°c/fan oven 180°c/gas mark 4.
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews and place them into a blender. Add all the other ingredients.Blend for a couple of minutes until you have a completely smooth creamy mixture. Transfer to the fridge.
- To prepare the cabbage slaw, slice the purple cabbage as finely as you can and place it into a bowl with the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and salt. Massage it in with your hands. Set aside.
- Bake the Gosh! Mushroom Burger in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Toast the pitta bread. Slice the pitta bread in half and with a knife create like a pocket in the middle.
- Slice the burger into strips. Fill the pitta pockets with some fresh rocket, sliced tomatoes and 1 or 2 strips of the burger. Drizzle the cashew cheese on top and sprinkle with the sliced chilli (if using).