This BBQ recipe is sure to be a new favourite. Super simple to make, these vibrant tofu and veggie skewers are sure to be a crowd pleaser- you don’t need to be a veggie to enjoy them. Perfect served with lemony quinoa and a drizzle of coconut yogurt. Thanks for the recipe Happy Skin Kitchen.
Allergy sufferers please note that this recipe contains peanut butter- this can be substituted for your favourite nut free alternative.
Makes about 4-6 skewers
12 Gosh! Sweetcorn Bites
1 large sweet pepper
2 medium size courgettes
4-5 chestnut mushrooms
1 medium red onion
A splash of olive oil
1 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs
Salt & pepper to taste
For the tofu:
½ block of firm tofu (about 150g)
1 flat tablespoon of miso paste
2 tablespoons of tamari sauce
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
1 teaspoon of peanut butter (or your favourite nut free alternative)
For the lemony quinoa:
2 cups of cooked quinoa
The juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon of miso paste
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 fresh chilli finely diced
1 cup of sliced cherry tomatoes
A generous handful of fresh chopped herbs
Salt & pepper to taste
Unsweetened coconut yogurt to serve
- Start by preparing and applying the tofu marinade (this should ideally be done the night before). Mix together the miso paste, tamari sauce, sesame oil and peanut butter. Whisk everything together well until you have a smooth sauce – if it’s too thick, add a splash of water. Slice the tofu into cubes and pour the marinade on top.
- Give the bowl a shake so all the tofu pieces are coated. Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate overnight (or for at least an hour).
- Preheat oven to 200 °C / fan oven 180 °/ gas mark 4.
- Once the tofu is marinated, chop the red onion, courgette, pepper and mushrooms into thick slices and place in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of dried herbs, salt and pepper. Toss the vegetables in the bowl until they are all coated.
- To assemble the skewers simply add the chopped vegetables, tofu pieces and the Gosh bites onto BBQ skewers. If you are not using a barbecue, place the skewers onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper (this prevents them from sticking) and cook them in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the veggies are soft and the tofu has crisped.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the quinoa until softened
- Combine the lemon juice, miso paste and olive oil and pour over the quinoa. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add the chopped fresh herbs and sliced tomatoes. Set to one side.
- Serve the skewers with the lemony quinoa and a drizzle of coconut yogurt and prepare to amaze your guests!