1 packet of Gosh! Veggie Sausages with Sage and Black Pepper
Handful of lettuce leaves
A few fresh cranberry’s and sliced fig to serve
Cranberry and fig chutney
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 small onion
3/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
2 tablespoons Fresh Ginger Minced
1 Medium Orange
6 Fresh Figs chopped
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 cup Water
3/4 teaspoon Dry Mustard
250g fresh Cranberries
Pinch of salt
1 block extra firm tofu (drained and patted dry)
1 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoons tamari/soy sauce
2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke
2 cups water
For the tofu bacon
- Slice the tofu as thinly as possible.
- Mix marinade ingredients together in a tall resealable container.
- Add sliced tofu to the marinade and set aside for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Strain tofu slices out of the marinade
- Cook tofu bacon slices in a frying pan over medium heat until browned and crispy.
For the chutney
- First remove and discard the peel and seeds from the orange. Then loosely chop the orange.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 3 minutes, until the shallot becomes translucent. Then add the cinnamon and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the ginger, orange, figs, sugar, vinegar, water, and dry mustard. Bring to a simmer and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Store in an airtight container.
- Add the cranberries and increase the heat until the mixture begins to steadily boil. Stir frequently and let the mixture boil for about 15 minutes, until the cranberries have burst, and the mixture is thick and syrupy.
- Season with salt, and then pour into a container, cover, and place in the fridge to cool.
To make the Pigs in Blankets
- Cook the sausages as instructed on the Gosh! Veggie Sausages packet and once cooked, wrap 2 slices of ‘bacon’ around the sausages to create the pigs in blankets.
- Then to assemble the hot dogs slice the baguette into 4 even pieces and cut each bit in half at the top. Load with the chutney and salad leaves and a pig in blanket. Finish with a squeeze of mayo, sliced fig and a few fresh cranberries and enjoy a delicious taste of Christmas.
Add some of your favourite melted cheese to make this taste even more decadent. Brie works really well and is a favourite Christmas cheese.
If you are in a hurry and don’t have time to make your own bacon or chutney, this works really well with readymade veggie bacon and cranberry sauce too.