Say no to boring old hot dogs. These mouth-watering Veggie Dogs with Homemade Slaw are bound to be a big hit with everybody around the table. Smiles all round.
Thanks for the delicious recipe, @HappySkinKitchen.
2 Gosh! Sweet Potato and Black Bean Sausages
2 hot dog style buns (gluten free options available)
1 small onion
1 tablespoon of coconut sugar
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon of oil for frying
A pinch of salt
For the slaw:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil of your choice
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups thinly chopped red cabbage
1 cup thinly sliced red pepper
1 cup grated carrots
1/4 cup coriander leaves
- Start by making the slaw: simply place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate while you are preparing the rest.
- Slice the onion very finely and place it into a frying pan with the olive oil. Add the pinch of salt and cook slowly on a low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- When onions are softened and golden, add the sugar and balsamic vinegar – this will start the caramelisation process. Cook onion over low heat for a further 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sticky and caramelised.
- Place the Gosh! Sweet Potato and Black Bean Sausages under a medium grill for 10-12 minutes, turning regularly.
- To assemble: slice in half the bread bun, place the sausage in the middle, cover with the caramelised onion and slaw. Add as much ketchup and mustard as you fancy to finish it off.